Lakhmir Singh Science Class 8 Solutions Materials – Metals and Non-Metals (Chapter 4)
Lakhmir Singh Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 4 provides you with information about metals, non-metals, their properties, and their uses. In this chapter of Lakhmir Singh Solutions, the elements have been classified into metals and non-metals on the basis of their properties. Some of the other important topics discussed in the chapter are physical properties of metals and non-metals, chemical properties of metals and non-metals, use of metals and non-metals, corrosion and methods to prevent corrosion.
Simple language, sample activities, practice exercises, and examples from day-to-day life make this chapter interesting for you. Introduction to new concepts and demonstrations makes this chapter very colourful and creative. You can refer to Lakhmir Singh Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 4 ‘Materials: Metals and Non-Metals’ whenever you get stuck at any point. With the help of our solutions, you can understand all the concepts in-depth.
Chapter 3 of Lakhmir Singh Book for Class 8 Science has around 5 exercises with a total of 102 questions. All the questions are according to the latest pattern released by NCERT. So, solving the exercises will prepare you for your exams well.
Important Topics for Lakhmir Singh Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 4
Are you finding this chapter of Science difficult to understand? Here, the team of Instasolv is going to make the chapter very easy to understand for you. Below some important topics and sub-topics in the chapter are described for you to clear your concepts.
These are the substances that are generally found in nature. For example, coal and petroleum. Natural substances are of two types i.e. Metals and Non-metals.
Introduction to Metals
The materials which possess the characteristic of being malleable, hard, ductile, shiny, fusible, etc. are known as metals. For example, silver, aluminium, iron, gold, copper, etc.
Physical Properties of Metals
The physical properties of metal include the following:
- Malleable: Metals are beaten into thin sheets. Due to the presence of this property, the shape of the aluminium wire and the iron nail can be changed on beating.
- Conductivity: The current and heat are passed through the metals easily.
- Ductility: Through this property, the metals can be drawn into the wires with ease.
- Sonorous: It is the property of metals that generates ringing sounds on hitting. This ringing property of metal depends on temperature and density.
- Hardness: Metals are very strong and hard in nature.
- High Melting and Boiling Point: Most of the metals have high boiling and melting points. The metals which are solid in nature always have high melting and boiling points.
Chemical Properties of Metals
- The reaction of Metals with Oxygen: When metals react with oxygen, they form metallic oxides.
- The reaction of Metals with Water: Generally, there are some metals that react vigorously with water like in the case of sodium.
- The reaction of Metals with Dilute Acids: When a metal reacts with acids, it releases a hydrogen gas with a ‘pop’ sound.
Introduction to Non-Metals
Those substances which do not own the characteristics of metals are called as non-metal.
Physical Properties of Non-Metals
- Non-Malleable: Non-metals are usually hard, therefore, cannot be beaten into sheets or drawn into wires.
- Poor Conductors of Heat and Electricity: Non-metals do not have free electrons, hence they are bad conductors of heat and electricity.
- Non-Lustrous: These are the non-metals which are available either in the form of powder or gas. So, it is not possible to polish them and also they do not have any lustre.
- Softness: Non-metals are usually soft. Due to non-malleability and non-ductile properties, non-metals are not strong at all.
- Low Melting and Boiling Point: Non-metals are packed loosely and as a result, less heat is required to melt or boil them. Due to this reason, non-metals possess low melting and boiling points.
Chemical Properties of Non-Metals
- Reaction with oxygen: Non-metal oxides are formed when non-metals react with oxygen. They are acidic in nature and turn blue litmus to red or neutral.
- Reaction with water: Non-metals do not react with water but are commonly very reactive in air, which is why some of them are stored in water.
Exercise-Wise Discussion of Lakhmir Singh and Manjit Kaur Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 4 – Materials: Metals and Non-Metals
To clear your concepts follow the exercise-wise discussion of Lakhmir Singh and Manjit Kaur Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 4. This chapter has a total of 5 exercises with around 102 questions in total. The questions range from basic to advance level so that you can easily understand each and every topic of the chapter.
Exercise 1 – Very Short Answer Type Questions
The first exercise of the chapter has around 36 questions which are very short answer type questions. These questions are based on the world of metals, non-metals, their properties, and their uses.
Exercise 2 – Short Answer Type Questions
This exercise has around 32 questions which are completely related to the main topics of this chapter including physical properties of metals and non-metals, chemical properties of metals and non-metals, uses of metals and non-metals, corrosion and methods to prevent corrosion.
Exercise 3 – Long Answer Type Questions
This exercise set has a total of 9 questions which are long answer type questions and you need to provide a detailed explanation in these questions.
Exercise 4 – Multiple Choice Question (MCQs)
This exercise set has a total of 20 questions in which you need to choose the right answer from the options given.
Exercise 5 – Questions Based on High Order Thinking Skills
This exercise set has a total of 5 questions in which there are questions based on high order thinking skills.
If you face issues in solving the questions, you can refer to Lakhmir Singh Solutions for Chapter 4 by Instasolv.
Benefits of Lakhmir Singh Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 4
At Instasolv, our intention is to influence your knowledge in the most ground-breaking ways.
- Lakhmir Singh Solutions Chapter 4 – ‘Materials: Metals and Non-Metals’ are available online easily so you can access these study notes from anywhere and at any time.
- Our experts are professionals with years of experience and thus drafted our solutions for class 8 Science Lakhmir Singh and Manjit Kaur Chapter 4 in the most professional way.
- It is our priority to involve teachers and students professionally to have a greater learning experience.
- Through Chapter 4 ‘Materials: Metals and Non-Metals’ of Lakhmir Singh Class 8 Science Solutions, we will not only directly solve the questions and answers in the exercises of the chapter but discuss them in a manner for your better understanding.