MS Chauhan Grignard Reagent Solutions (Chapter 3)
MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions Chapter 3 consists of topic-wise solutions for all the main topics in ‘Grignard Reagent’. MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions will not only help you clear your doubts but also make you understand even the most difficult topics. Here at Instasolv, our expert Chemistry teachers have solved problems using the easiest method. Referring to the MS Chauhan Grignard Reagent Solutions will make your exam preparation a lot easier.
Some of the main topics of Chapter 3 – Grignard Reagent includes what is Grignard reagent, preparation Grignard reagent, the reaction of Grignard reagents with the carbonyl group, non-carbon electrophiles, organic halides, industrial reactions. This chapter contains a total of 77 questions for your practice. All the problems are explained in a detailed manner helping you to improve your reasoning and analytical skills.
Organic Chemistry is an important part of Chemistry from a competitive exam point of view. With the introduction of new concepts, it gets quite challenging for you to master the subject and score good marks in the exam with ease. Still, when you decide to study with MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Chapter 3 Solutions, you get to practice difficult problems and solve them through a different method.
Important Topics for MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions Chapter 3 – Grignard Reagent
A Grignard reagent is an organomagnesium compound that can be defined by the chemical formula ‘R-Mg-X’ where R denotes an alkyl or aryl group and X denotes a halogen. They are usually created by the reaction of an aryl halide or an alkyl halide with magnesium.
Preparation of Grignard Reagents
The process of preparing Grignard reagents is explained below:
- These reagents are formed via the reaction of magnesium with organic halides.
- This is done by using the solvents containing ethers because the ligands offered by these solvents help in the equilibrium of the organomagnesium compound.
- Water and air are very harmful to this mixture and can rapidly extinguish the Grignard reagent which is being created via protonolysis or via oxidation of the reagent. Thus, the procedure must be implemented in air-free conditions.
- On the other hand, the magnesium can be started to make it drink water when wet solvents are used with the help of ultrasound.
- After the gentle induction period of the reaction, the procedure can be moderately exothermic. This is a very significant factor to think through while industrially creating the Grignard reagent.
Reactions of Grignard Reagents
Grignard reagents are very significant reagents in organic chemistry as they can be reacted with a wide range of compounds to produce diverse products. Some of these reactions of these reagents are provided below.
- Reactions with Carbonyl Group
These reagents form different products when reacted with diverse carbonyl compounds. The most usual reaction of Grignard reagents is the alkylation of ketones and aldehydes with the help of R-Mg-X.
- Reactions with Non-Carbon Electrophiles
For the creation of new carbon-heteroatom bonds, Grignard reagents and some organolithium compounds are very beneficial. These reagents can also experience a transmetallation reaction with cadmium chloride, yielding dialkyl cadmium. This reaction can be expressed as follows.
2R-Mg-X + CdCl2 → R2Cd + 2Mg(X)Cl
- Reactions with Organic Halides
Normally, these reagents are rather unreactive towards organic halides which extremely contrasts their actions towards other halides. Though, carbon-carbon coupling reactions happen with Grignard reagents performing as a reactant when a metal catalyst is formed.
- Industrial Reactions
For the creation of Tamoxifen, a type of medication used to avoid and treat breast cancer, the Grignard reagent is a dynamic part of the non-stereoselective procedure.
Exercise-wise Discussion for MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions Chapter 3 – Grignard Reagent
There are two levels of exercises in this chapter of MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions that are listed below:
Level 1: This is the first level of MS Chauhan Grignard Chemistry Solutions and consists of 66 objective type questions. In these questions, you are required to choose the correct answer out of the four options given. These are high order thinking questions and will help you improve your analytical skills.
Level 2: In this level of MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions for Grignard Chemistry, there are two sets of questions available. The first set consists of 5 very short answer type questions consisting match the following type questions whereas the second set has 6 subjective type questions for your reference. Practice well to make your concepts stronger.
Why Use MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions Chapter 3 – Grignard Reagent by Instasolv?
MS Chauhan Organic Chemistry Solutions provided by Instasolv have the following benefits:
- Referring to the MS Chauhan Solutions provided by the experts at Instasolv offers you in-depth explanations for all questions available in the textbook.
- We provide step-by-step processes to make you understand the organic chemistry questions with ease.
- All the MS Chauhan Grignard Reagent Solutions are accurate and to-the-point to help you clear your concepts.
- All the solutions are verified from top-class subject experts.
- The solutions are easily accessible and you can access them for free. Follow now!