NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Chapter 4 Solutions: Carbon and Its Compounds
NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Solutions for Chapter 4 are introduced to give you detailed information about carbon and its compounds. With the help of NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Solution Chapter 4 solutions, you will learn different topics like types of compounds, covalent bonds, properties of the carbon compounds, etc.
The chapter contains a total of three exercises with 57 questions in which the questions range from multiple-choice questions to long answer questions. The multiple-choice questions section has 29 questions, the short question section has 16 questions, and the long questions are 10 in total. All the solutions to the questions are designed by the best science experts at Instasolv.
The Instasolv team is there to help you find the best NCERT Exemplar solutions for the chapter ‘carbon and its compounds’. Our professionals aim at making the chapter learning easy for you in the best manner. You can easily find the solutions to the most difficult questions in a quick way with our help.
Important Topics for NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Solutions Chapter 4: Carbon and Its Compounds
In NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Chapter 4 we will discuss the covalent bond that is the bonding in carbon, chemical properties of carbon compounds, some important carbon compounds, soaps and detergents etc. the concepts are classified as follows.
- Types of Compounds
There are two types of compounds-
- Organic Compounds
Organic compounds are those that contain carbon in it. There are many known carbon compounds about which you will study in the chapter. You will also study the properties, reactions and syntheses of organic compounds.
- Inorganic Compounds
An inorganic compound does not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds in it. Though it is opposite of organic compounds the difference is yet not clear.
- Covalent Bond: When two atoms share pairs of electrons, the bond formed between them is known as a covalent bond.
- Distinguishing features of Organic Compounds
- It’s melting and boiling points.
- Types of linkages it contains.
- Its solubility.
- Electrical conductivity it contains.
- Nature of its reactions.
- The stability it possesses.
- Properties of covalent compounds
- The covalent compounds exist as molecules, not as ions.
- Mostly all the covalent compounds exist as liquids or gases at room temperature.
- Generally, the melting and boiling points of covalent compounds are very low.
- In water, covalent compounds are generally insoluble or very less soluble.
- When in a fused or dissolved state, covalent compounds do not allow electricity to pass through them at all.
- The covalent compounds are always directional.
- Types of covalent bonds: There are 4 types of covalent bonds:
- Single Bond-like in Hydrogen Molecule.
- Double Bond-like in Oxygen Molecule.
- Triple Bond-like in Nitrogen Molecule.
- Multiple Bonds like in Methane Molecule.
- Chemical properties of carbon compounds
Oxidising reactions are performed with the use of oxidising agents. These oxidising agents are also called oxidants that help in oxidising other substances. For this they undergo reduction.
In this reaction process, carbon and its compounds are burnt in the presence of oxygen to emit carbon dioxide, heat, and light.
- Addition Reaction
This reaction is carried out when unsaturated organic compounds like alkenes and alkynes containing multiple bonds undergo a reaction to become saturated. During the reaction the double-bonded or even triple-bonded carbon atoms have reagent take place.
- Substitution Reaction
In this reaction, an atom or a group of atoms in a compound is restored by another atom or group of atoms and is hence called a substitution reaction.
Exercise Discussion for NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Solutions Chapter 4: Carbon and Its Compounds
- The first 29 questions of the chapter are multiple-choice questions. These multiple-choice questions include questions like finding the correct reaction, finding the correct part of the definition, finding the types of bonds in the given molecule, finding the structural formula of given elements and many more questions of these types.
- The next 28 questions of the chapter are short answer type questions and include questions like drawing the given electron using dot structure, finding the functional groups of given compounds, word problems, definition questions and many more of the same types.
- The solutions to all these 57 NCERT Exemplar problems are designed to enable you to grasp the concepts faster and understand the topics deeply and clearly.
- These questions cover all levels of difficulty therefore if you can understand all these questions, you can master the chapter easily.
Benefits of NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Solutions Chapter 4: Carbon and Its Compounds by Instasolv
- Instasolv, an online learning website, has the motive to keep all your doubts associated with NCERT Exemplar problems for Class 10 Science Chapter 4 away.
- We provide you with the best study material as the NCERT Exemplar solutions to all the problems given in this chapter.
- Our solutions are thoroughly based on the latest CBSE exam pattern for Class 10 Science hence making it much easier for you to prepare this chapter for your exams.