NCERT Exemplar Class 11 Chemistry Chapter 10 Solutions: The s-Block Elements
NCERT Exemplar Solutions for Class 11 Chemistry Chapter will help you study the physical and chemical properties of the Alkali Metals. The main topics in this chapter of NCERT Class 11 Chemistry Exemplar include Group 1- Alkali Metals and Group 2 – Alkaline Earth Metals, general characteristics of compounds of the Alkaline Earth Metals, Elements of s- block their physical and chemical properties, important compounds of Calcium, anomalous properties of Lithium and behaviour of Beryllium.
Class 11 Chemistry NCERT Exemplar Chapter 10 has 6 main exercises with around 53 exemplar problems in total. The different types of questions include objective type questions, match the following, assertions and reason type, short answer types questions as well as long questions. The expert Chemistry teachers at Instasolv have presented the solutions in an easy to understand language to assist you in preparing the chapter in a quick time.
Throughout these NCERT Exemplar problems and solutions of Chapter 10 of Class 11 Chemistry, we have discussed the concepts in a comprehensive manner. Our experts have undergone thorough research to get accurate solutions for you. So, revising the chapter with the help of solutions provided by us will help you to perform better in class.
Important Topics for NCERT Chemistry Exemplar Solutions Class 11 Chapter 10 – The s-Block Elements
General Electronic Configuration of s-Block Elements
The general electronic configuration of s block elements is denoted by ns(1−2).
Atomic and Ionic Radii
Atomic and ionic radii refer to the distances away from the nucleus or central atom that does not have similar periodic trends. Atomic radius rises going from top to bottom and reduces going across the periodic table. Ionic radius refers to the distance away from the central atom.
Ionization Enthalpy refers to the amount of energy that a remote gaseous atom needs to lose an electron in its ground state. You need to offer a certain amount of energy to eliminate an electron from an atom. Therefore, the ionization enthalpies of chemical elements are usually positive.
Hydration energy defines the total energy released when one mole of ions suffers hydration. Hydration energy is one element in the measurable study of solvation. It is a specific distinct case of water. The value of hydration energies is one of the most stimulating parts of structural prediction.
Chemical Properties of Alkali Metals
Chemical properties of alkali metals include:
- They appear silvery
- They can be cut with a soft knife
- They are highly reactive at standard temperature and pressure
- They readily lose their outermost electron to generate cations with charge +1.
Uses of Alkali Metals
- Pure sodium is used in sodium-vapour lamps which generate very effective light.
- Potassium is widely used in the biological system.
- Cesium is used in the production of photoelectric cells.
- Hydrogen is used in hydrogen fuel, weather balloons, and it generates water.
- Lithium is used in batteries in the form of lithium carbonate that is used to control definite mental disorders and glass.
Exercise-wise Discussion of NCERT Chemistry Exemplar Solutions Class 11 Chapter 10 – The s-Block Elements
Exercise 10.1 – Multiple Choice Questions I
In this exercise, you will find 21 exemplar problems. These are multiple-choice questions available for you to practice well and make your concepts stronger.
Exercise 10.2 – Multiple Choice Questions II
Exercise 10.2 contains 8 multiple-choice questions. These exemplar problems are different from those of the problems in exercise 10.1. In these questions, you have two or more correct options.
Exercise 10.3 –Short Answer Types Questions
This exercise consists of 12 short answer type exemplar problems based on Group 1- Alkali Metals and Group 2 – Alkaline Earth Metals, General Characteristics of Compounds of the Alkaline Earth Metals, Elements of s- block their physical and chemical properties.
Exercise 10.4 – Match the following
NCERT Exemplar Solutions Class 11 Chemistry Chapter 10 Exercise 10.4 contains 3 exemplar problems. You have to match the left column to the correct option in the right column.
Exercise 10.5 – Assertion and Reason Type
Exercise 10.5 contains 2 exemplar problems. These questions are considered as best questions for a better understanding of the chapter.
Exercise 10.6 – Long Answer Type Questions
There are 8 exemplar problems in this exercise related to Some Important Compounds of Calcium, Anomalous properties of Lithium and Behaviour of Beryllium.
Why Use NCERT Chemistry Exemplar Solutions Class 11 Chapter 10 – The s-Block Elements by Instasolv?
- NCERT Exemplar Class 11 Chemistry Solutions provided by Instasolv is completely reliable and will guide you in the right direction to prepare for the CBSE exams as well as entrance exams.
- NCERT Exemplar solutions cover basics and fundamentals on all topics available in the chapter apart from the added information of a higher level.
- These exemplar solutions consist of questions of NCERT exemplar book plus some extra information.
- Many exemplar problems in entrance exams like JEE-Mains are directly taken from NCERT Exemplar books.
- These solutions are prepared by experts having years of experience in the field.