NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem
Our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem is one of the most recommended study materials for learning effectively for CBSE board exams. Here, you will learn various interesting topics such as the structure of the ecosystem, biotic, and abiotic components in a structured way. Here you will also be introduced to ecosystem types such as the terrestrial ecosystem and aquatic ecosystem. This chapter of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology will also teach you about ecological pyramids such as pyramids of numbers, pyramids of biomass, and pyramids of productivity.
These are very easy and captivating topics that are explained in detail in our comprehensive NCERT Solutions. This chapter comprises 1 all-inclusive exercise that consists of 13 questions. Our NCERT Solutions for Chapter 14-Ecosystem answers all the questions of the exercise in an easy to understand and structured manner to incite effective learning. They cover all topics and subtopics from the chapter.
They help you become thorough with the chapter and excel in your board exams with flying colours. Our NCERT CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 solutions help you keep your concepts clear and ensure that you have a proper conceptual foundation. The solutions provided by us are relevant, highly informative, and of premium quality.
Introduction to CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 14
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem mainly focuses on the biological community of the ecosystem. You shall also come across the living and non-living components which interact with each other in their physical environment. Some important topics covered in the chapter have been discussed below.
- Ecosystem- Structure
This part of NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem, discusses the biotic and abiotic components of the ecosystem. The functional unit of nature, which varies in size, is also explained in this chapter.
- Biotic components
This section about biotic components teaches you about the producers, consumers, and decomposers. You will learn the meaning and examples of each of these terms.
- Abiotic components
The section on abiotic components is totally about inorganic materials such as soil, air, water, temperature, sunlight, and wind.
- Ecosystem Types
In this section of NCERT Solutions for Class 12th Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem, you learn about two main types of ecosystems. They have been discussed below.
- Terrestrial Ecosystem
From this section, you shall understand that the ecosystems which are found only on lands such as mountain ecosystems, grassland ecosystem, forest ecosystem, and desert ecosystem are termed as terrestrial ecosystems.
Here, you will learn that the ecosystems which are found in water bodies are called an aquatic ecosystem. They have been further classified into the following.
Freshwater Ecosystem: This part discusses the lentic, lotic, and wetlands. It is well- explained with various examples such as lakes, ponds, pools, rivers, streams, and saturated soil.
Oceanic Ecosystem: This is one of the largest ecosystems which covers around 71% of the total earth’s surface. The marine ecosystem is another name of the oceanic ecosystem. This part is well explained with examples such as shallow water, deep ocean surface, and deep water.
- Ecological Pyramids
In this segment of the Class 12 Biology Ecosystem, you will come across graphical representations of ecological pyramids. You shall read about the relationship between different organisms. This chapter also teaches you about the pyramid representation of different trophic levels.
- Pyramid of Numbers
Here you will get to know about various trophic levels irrespective of their size.
- Pyramid of Biomass
You will be reading about the total mass of organisms at various trophic levels.
- Pyramid of Productivity
This section explains about the total amount of energy present at each trophic level and the amount of energy which is lost at various levels.
- Ecological succession
This element of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem, explains the changes that are happening in the structure of species during a time in the ecological community. It further discusses primary succession and secondary succession.
- The function of the ecosystem
This section discusses the flow of energy, which is regulated at various levels of organisms. Further, you shall learn about the autotrophs, which are the producers of energy, minerals of the biosphere, and life systems, which provide stability.
In the later part of the chapter, you will read about nutrient cycling, ecosystem services, productivity, decompositions, food chain, and food web.
NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 Exercise
Our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 4- Ecosystem answers all the questions of the exercise given at the end of the chapter with detailed explanations, relevant examples and illustrative diagrams. This chapter comprises 1 all-inclusive exercise that consists of 13 questions. Below is a brief overview of the same.
- Question 1 is fill in the blank question, in which you have to write one appropriate word or phrase in the blank given. It covers various topics from this chapter.
- Question 2 to question 5 are multiple-choice questions, in which you have to choose one correct option from the given 4 options. You should also explain why that option you select is appropriate.
- Question 6 is a differential question. The concepts covered in this question are food chain, production, and decomposition, pyramid, food web, and productivity. You have to mention at least two points in each differentiation.
- Question 7 is about the components of ecosystems. It is a direct question from the chapter. You have to explain this question in detail with relevant examples.
- Question 8 is a direct long answer question from the concept of the pyramid. Where you have to describe the levels of the pyramid, and it has to be explained with diagrams and relevant examples.
- Question 9 and question 10 are short answers from the decomposition concept. Where you need to explain the process followed in it, they are direct questions from the chapter.
- In question 11 you have to explain the energy flow in an ecosystem. Question 12 and question 13 are based on the cycle in an ecosystem.
Benefits of CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 14-Ecosystem
There are many benefits associated with learning and revising from our systematic CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem. Some of them have been cited below.
- Our expert Science teachers have drafted these solutions in an effective, efficient, and smart way.
- Our solutions have been meticulously drafted on the basis of the latest and updated CBSE Class 12 Biology Syllabus.
- The study materials that we provide are a single point solution for your learning, revision and practice needs before you board exams.
- Our academic experts have followed a stepwise format to draft these solutions to ensure you learn effectively.
- They include all possible concepts, questions, and question types that are important from exam point of view.