NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 – Biodiversity and Conservation
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 – Biodiversity and Conservation have been prepared as per the updated CBSE Class 12 Biology Syllabus. This chapter of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology teaches you the meaning of biodiversity and its various types such as genetic diversity, species diversity and ecological diversity. It also throws light upon the patterns of biodiversity such as latitudinal gradients and species-area relationship.
This chapter educates you about various interesting topics like loss of biodiversity, causes of biodiversity loss, biodiversity conservation and reasons for biodiversity conservation. Our NCERT Solutions cover all these topics in detail to help you get an in-depth understanding of the same.
Our well-structured solutions help you in quickly becoming thorough with the concepts of the chapter and perform exceptionally well in your Class 12 board exams. NCERT CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 comprises 1 exercise that consists of 10 questions. They cover all the significant concepts of this chapter. Our NCERT Solutions answer all questions of the exercise in an easy to understand language and in a crisp and concise manner to facilitate efficient learning. They are highly informative and of the finest quality. They help you score well both in your Class 12 Biology board exam and various competitive exams.
Introduction to CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 15
This chapter mainly focuses on animals and plant life on earth. It deals with various aspects of biodiversity and Conservation. Some of the concepts covered in this chapter have been discussed below.
- Biodiversity and its types
This part of NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 – Biodiversity and Conservation, discusses various types of diversities and their meanings such as the following.
- Genetic Diversity
This segment teaches you that genetic diversity refers to the total number of genes in the genetic format of species. Here you will read about the medicinal plants which are the best examples of genetic diversity.
- Species Diversity
This section discusses that species diversity is the number of species found in an ecological community. For example, the quantum of amphibian species is higher in western ghats than the eastern ghats.
- Genetic Diversity
- Ecological Diversity
This portion teaches you about the observation of greater diversity at the level of the ecosystem at a particular region such as mangroves, rainforests and deserts. It teaches you in detail about ecological diversity.
- Patterns of Biodiversity
This section of NCERT CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 15, discusses the various patterns of biodiversity, such as the following.
- Latitudinal Gradients:
This section of CBSE NCERT Class 12 Chapter 15 teaches you about latitudinal gradients. You will learn about the decrease of species diversity at the poles. The total number of species present in the tropics are more when compared to the polar regions. There are several reasons for this. Some of them are:
- tropical regions are not disturbed for several years
- The environment in these regions is constant and more predictable.
- Due to the presence of high solar energy, there will be an increase in the biodiversity in the tropics.
- Species-Area Relationship
This section explains the graphs between the area of a variety of taxa in a rectangular hyperbola and species richness. This is explained with the help of an equation given below.
log S = log C + Z log A
S= Species richness
Z = slope of the line (regression coefficient)
C = Y-intercept
- Loss of Biodiversity
This section of Class 12 Biology Biodiversity and Conservation, explains how the loss of biodiversity is happening. Here you will also understand the plant production, resistance to environmental issues like global warming and drought. You shall know various ecosystem processes like the productivity of plant, pest and disease cycles and water use.
- Causes of Biodiversity Loss
This segment of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 – Biodiversity and Conservation, discusses the loss of habitats and its fragmentation. Here you will also come across co-extinctions, alien species invasions and overexploitation.
- Biodiversity Conservation
This part discusses the upliftment, protection and management of biodiversity for present and future generations. Here you will learn about the In situ conservation and Ex-situ conservation. These include hotspots, biosphere reserves, wild forests, national parks, zoos, gene banks, botanical gardens and aquariums. In the later part of the chapter, you will also learn about reasons for biodiversity conservation.
NCERT CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 Exercise Questions
This chapter comprises 1 all-inclusive exercise that consists of 10 questions. Below is a brief overview of the same.
- Question 1 discusses the important components of biodiversity. It is a direct short answer question from the chapter.
- Question 2 is a direct short answer question, which is based on the total number of species present in the world.
- Question 3 is a short answer question, which is based on the tropics showing greater levels of species richness. This is also a direct question, and you’ll have to mention 3 points about it.
- Question 4 is based on the significance of the slope of regression in a species. It is a direct short answer question.
- Question 5 is a direct question based on causes of species loss in a particular area.
- Question 6 is based on the role of biodiversity in the ecosystem functioning
- Question 7 asks you to explain about the sacred grove and what is its role in Conservation. It is a short answer question.
- In question 8, you have to explain about the biotic components of the ecosystem. It is a direct short answer question.
- Questions 9 and 10 are based on diversification and species extinction.
Benefits of NCERT Solutions for Class 12th Biology Chapter 15-Biodiversity and Conservation
There are various benefits associated with studying from our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 – Biodiversity and Conservation. Some of them have been given below.
- Our experienced faculty has framed these solutions for your easy board exam preparation
- Our NCERT Solutions are premium quality study material for learning and revising during your Class 12 board exams.
- They contain relevant examples, appropriate illustrative diagrams and detailed explanations.
- All the solutions are prepared in a simple language for you to grasp the concepts quickly and efficiently.
- You can learn from our convenient NCERT Solutions from anywhere at any time.
- They cover all concepts covered in the chapter precisely and in a step by step manner.
- Our NCERT Solutions help you develop a profound conceptual foundation.
- They have been designed to make learning more fun, interesting and enjoyable.