NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 5 – Principles of Inheritance and Variation
Our systematic NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 5- Principles of Inheritance and Variations help you get an in-depth understanding of all concepts covered in the chapter. Some of the significant topics covered in this chapter of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology are introduction to Inheritance, Inheritance of one gene, and inheritance of two genes. It also elaborates about the three important Mendel’s Laws of Inheritance, namely, Law of Dominance, Law of Segregation and the Law of Independent Assortment. This chapter also throws light on genetic disorders, chromosomal disorders, genetic mutation, sex determination in organisms, and sex determination in human beings.
The exercise of NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 5 comprises 16 comprehensive questions that cover all topics of the chapter. Our NCERT Solutions answer all questions of the exercise in a detailed and step by step manner to help you learn fast and remember more. Our expert Biology teachers prepare NCERT Solutions in and easy to understand language to help you become thorough and keep all your concepts clear. They have been drafted on the basis of the latest CBSE Class 12 Biology Syllabus. These precise and accurate solutions are just what you need for a solid board exam preparation and an excellent competitive exam preparation.
Introduction to NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 5
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 5- Principles of Inheritance and Variations bring light on all the essential topics in an interactive way. Many inheritance related topics have been explained with the help of illustrated and detailed diagrams. They assist you in understanding each and every topic in a systematic way. Various topics and sub-topics that are covered in this chapter have been discussed below.
- Introduction to Inheritance
CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 5 discusses the formal definition of the hereditary. It explains the hereditary process, i.e., transfer of characteristics and traits from parents to their children. It is done through the asexual and sexual mode of reproduction. All these characteristics are located in genes in thread-like structures called chromosomes.
This chapter elaborates in detail about the inheritance of one gene and inheritance of two genes through Mendal’s experiments.
- Mendel’s Laws of Inheritance
Another topic covered in NCERT CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 5 is Mendel laws of inheritance. It discusses the law of Dominance (First Law) and Law of Segregation (Second Law) and the Law of Independent Assortment (Third Law).
The later part of the chapter elaborates in detail about sex determination in organisms and sex determination in humans. Class 12 Biology Principles of Inheritance and Variation also throws light on genetic disorders such as Sickle Cell Anemia, Phenylketonuria, and Hemophilia. It also explains about chromosomal disorders such as Polyploidy, Turner’s Syndrome, Down’s Syndrome. It also talks about a genetic mutation in detail.
CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 5 Exercise
NCERT Solutions for Chapter 5 Principles of Heredity and Variations do include answers to all 16 questions of the exercise given at the end of the chapter. All these questions are a mix of various question types, such as short answer questions and long answer questions. They have been discussed below.
- Question 1 asks you about the advantages of selecting a pea plant from Mendel’s experiment.
- Question 2 is a differential question. It asks you to differentiate between the dominance and recessive, homozygous and heterozygous, and monohybrid and dihybrid
- Question 3 is a diploid organism-based question.
- Question 4 needs you to explain the Law of Dominance by using a monohybrid cross
- Question 5 need you to give the definition and design a test-cross
- Question 6 asks you to use a Punnett square, and explain the distribution of phenotypic features in the first filial generation after a cross between homozygous female and heterozygous male for a single locus.
- Question 7 deals with the topic test cross.
- Question 8 asks you that if two heterozygous parents are crossed and if the two loci are linked what will be the distribution of phenotypic features in F1 generation be
- Question 9 deals with the contribution of T.H. Morgan in genetics.
- Question 10 is a direct question. It asks you about the pedigree analysis and how this analysis can be useful.
- Question 11 needs you to explain the process of sex determination in human beings?
- Question 12 is also an explanatory type. Here they ask to find out the genotypes of the parents and the possible genotypes.
- Question 13 needs you to explain the terms codominance and Incomplete dominance with examples.
- Question 14 asks you to write about point mutation with one example.
- Question 15 asks you to answer who had proposed the chromosomal theory of the inheritance.
- Question 16 asks you to mention the name of any two autosomal genetic disorders with their symptoms.
Benefits of NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 5-Principles of Heredity and Variations
Our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 5- Principles of Heredity and Variations come with a plethora of ingrained benefits. Some of them have been mentioned below.
- Our solutions are developed in such a way that students will be able to learn quickly and effectively.
- They Help you prepare exceptionally well for both your Class 12 board exams and various competitive exams.
- They are well-structured and follow a logical flow to help you learn even the most complex topics easily.
- They make learning a more natural, enjoyable, stimulating, and happy process.
- With our NCERT Solutions learning, you can learn your own pace anywhere and anytime.
- Our highly qualified and immensely experienced Biology teachers have drafted Our NCERT Solutions on the lastest NCERT and CBSE guidelines.
- Our smart study techniques and learning shortcuts help you obtain excellent marks in your board exams.