NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 9 – Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 9 – Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production have been drafted by Instasolv’s well-known biology teachers. The topics that you will come across in these NCERT Solutions are the introduction to animal husbandry, plant breeding, plant breeding for disease resistance, single-cell proteins, and tissue culture. Our NCERT Solutions cover all topics and sub-topics of the chapter in detail.
Our NCERT solutions answer all 12 questions of the exercise given at the end of CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 9. They cover all possible question types that are important from a board exam perspective. Some of the question types include short answer questions, long answer questions, descriptive questions, direct questions and practical questions.
NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 4 solutions have been laid out in a systematic order that will surely help you understand each of the topics clearly. They have been drafted in a logical format to facilitate quick and effective learning. Our NCERT Solutions have been specifically designed to help you build a strong conceptual base and perform well in your board exams.
Introduction to CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 9
In NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 9-Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production, several significant concepts have been covered with illustrated diagrams and detailed explanations in a simple language. In this section, we have discussed several subtopics and topics covered in this chapter. They have been mentioned below.
- Animal husbandry
Under this topic, you will study the importance of controlled animal breeding and raising livestock. This chapter discusses the methods of breeding livestock like horses, cows, sheep, cattle, camel, and other animals that provide commodities like milk, eggs, honey, meat, silk, leather, etc. Fishery and poultry farming practices are also categorized under this section. You will come across various procedures of managing farm and farm animals like poultry farm management, dairy farm management, animal breeding, fisheries, beekeeping or apiculture.
- Plant breeding
In CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 9, you will study about the technologies used for increasing crop yield. This chapter elaborates on the green revolution that was a significant step towards improving plant breeding techniques for the development of disease-resistant and great yielding varieties of crops like wheat, rice, maize, etc. You will study the procedure of producing crops with genetic variation and different methods of plant breeding.
- Plant breeding for disease resistance
This section of NCERT Class 12 Chapter 9 is a continuation of the previous chapter that discusses in detail how the capability of the host plant is improved to prevent it from diseases caused by pathogens. You will also learn that this practice helps in improving crop production and also reduces their vulnerability to diseases or infections. Here you will study processes like hybridization, selection, and sequential steps like screening germplasm, evolution and variety of hybrids, hybridization.
- Single Cell Protein
In this part of Class 12 Biology, Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production, you will learn about single-cell protein which is considered as an alternate source of protein for both human and animal nutrition.
This chapter discusses how microbes get cultivated on an industrial scale that serves as a good source of protein. Under this section, you will learn about Spirulina (blue-green algae) that gets developed on wastewater, potato processing plants, straw, etc. It can be considered as a proper alternative food source rich in minerals, fats, and proteins, etc.
- Tissue culture
In this topic, you will learn how many parts of a plant are taken out and treated in a test tube under different conditions using nutrient-rich solutions. This method of producing whole plants is termed as totipotency. This method is employed to produce large scale production of plants using tissue culture and is also known as micropropagation. The plants produced are genetically identical to the host plant.
NCERT CBSE Class 12 Biology Chapter 9 Exercises
The exercise at the end of the chapter contains 12 questions that cover all the topics of this chapter. Our NCERT Solutions for Chapter 9 – Strategies for Enhancement Food Production answer all these questions in detail. The questions of the exercise have been given below.
- Question 1 is a theoretical question which asks you about the role of animal husbandry. It is also a descriptive question.
- Question 2 is a practical question. It asks you about improvements to produce more milk and maintain quality.
- Question 3 asks you about the meaning of a breed and its several objectives.
- Question 4 tests your knowledge about different methods of animal breeding and asks you to cite the best method of breeding with a reason backing your choice.
- Question 5 discusses apiculture and its importance.
- Question 6 is based on different roles in fishery and enhancements.
- Question 7 asks you about various steps for animal breeding
- Question 8 is a theoretical question and asks about biofortification.
- Question 9 tests your knowledge about plants by asking about virus-free plants.
- Question 10 is a theoretical question and asks about the advantages of micropropagation.
- Question 11 asks about different components of the medium used for propagation of an explant in for in vitro.
- Question 12 asks about different hybrid varieties of crop plants which have been developed in India.
Benefits of CBSE NCERT Class 12 Biology Chapter 9
Our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Biology Chapter 9-Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production are comprehensive yet concise. Some of the advantages of keeping them handy during your board exam have been listed below.
- Our smart study techniques and learning shortcuts help you learn quickly and score good marks in your Class 12 Board Exams.
- They are well-structured and follow a logical flow.
- Our NCERT Solutions have been designed to clear all your doubts instantly and improve your retention rate.
- They include detailed explanations, relevant examples and illustrative diagrams to help you learn efficiently.
- They have been drafted in a manner to make learning fun, fascinating and highly effective.
- They are a perfect source for learning and revising quickly during your class 12 board exams.
- They not only help prepare exceptionally well for your board exams, but they also prepare you well for various competitive exams.