NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1 – The Last Lesson
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1 ‘The Last Lesson’ will provide you answers to all the 18 questions of the chapter that are divided into 8 exercises. These NCERT Solutions will help you prepare this chapter for CBSE Class 12 English board exam. These solutions are easy to understand and adhere to the CBSE exam pattern.
In the summary of Class 12 Flamingo Chapter 1 ‘The Last Lesson’ the pain and agony in people of the territory when their conqueror takes away their rights of learning their mother-tongue is explained. The story also describes the attitudes of students and teachers. The story is about a French novelist, Alphonse Daudet. It is about the time when two French districts Alsace and Lorraine were conquered by Germans and their effect on school life. The NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1 ‘The Last Lesson’ provided by Instasolv are provided to ensure your complete understanding of the chapter. Further, read the summary of ‘The Last Lesson’ given below for insights on the story.
The Last Lesson Summary: Class 12 English Flamingo
In the story ‘The Last Lesson’, Mr Hamel is teaching the last French lesson to the children as now and the order has been passed to teach only German in the schools of Alsace and Lorraine. The story is being narrated by a student named Franz who was never interested in studying the French language.
Franz was always late in class and was not very confident about the French language that he had learned so far. But as he came to know that it was Mr Hamel’s last lesson, he and every other student in the class concentrated their best.
Mr Hamel, who is a rather strict teacher, was very soft and gentle with the students that day. While teaching the last lesson Mr Hamel also talked about how beautiful the French language is and the history of the language. Mr.Hamel’s words were pointing to the fact that although all the students were French now they would have to learn German because Germans are in the majority.
Another heart touching incident that happened in the story was that the people of the town also came to attend the last French lesson. This reflected that they were all very sad that Mr Hamel will no longer be teaching French. In fact, their children would never be able to learn the mother tongue again.
Amidst all the happenings in the last lesson of French, Franz had a strange thought as he got distracted by the sound of the pigeons outside the classroom window. He thought to himself if the Germans would teach the pigeons their language too.
The story also reflects how Mr Hamel and every other student did not pay much attention to the teaching and learning of French respectively because they thought that they had plenty of time. Mr Hamel mentions that Franz used to miss his classes because Mr Hamel used to ask him to water his garden.
Similarly, Franz was also not very serious about learning French. He was thinking of skipping the class on that day because he did not want to appear in the test. At last, when they realized that they can no more teach or learn French, they felt its need. It depicts a great lesson that we do not value things until we lose them.
Moral of NCERT Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1: The Last Lesson
The story stresses the fact that how important our language is for us and how the minorities have to give up their mother tongue because of majorities in a region or a country. Shouldn’t we all have a right to learn our mother tongue?
Exercise Discussion for NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1: The Last Lesson
- There are 18 NCERT exercise questions that are directly based on the summary of The Last Lesson.
- First, there are two questions related to ‘understanding the text’. Both of these questions are related to the importance of language.
- Then, there are three questions related to ‘talking about the text’. They are general questions based on the language of regions. Here you will encounter a new term called ‘linguistic chauvinism’. You need to find out the meaning of this term and explain its significance.
- Then, there are three questions based on ‘working with the terms’ which are based on the origins of various words that are included in the chapter such as kindergarten, democracy, etc.
- Then, there are three ‘writing’ questions based on the summary of the chapter such as bulletin board, studying languages at school, changes about someone.
- Then, there is an interesting exercise related to languages that you know. You can work together with your friends in this exercise.
- There are 5 questions given in-between the chapter related to the instances happening in the chapter. You must solve those questions as well.
Study Tips for NCERT Solutions and Summary for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1: The Last Lesson
- It is very important for you to relate this chapter with the current scenarios in society. All the exercises of the chapter encourage you to think about the present scenarios and the importance of language in your lives.
- You must pay attention to the usage of tenses in the chapter as it will help you understand the context of the chapter. The writing section of the chapter prepares you for argumentative, narrative and functional writing. You must be aware of the differences between them.
- Our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 1 will help you form a thorough understanding of the chapter and will give you enough ideas to formulate the answers by yourself in your own words. We have elaborated on all the exercise solutions of the chapter and have followed the CBSE pattern.