NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4 – The Enemy
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4: The Enemy is provided for all NCERT textbook questions of the chapter. The NCERT Solutions and Chapter Summary will help you prepare the chapter quickly and will provide you with adequate ideas on how to write the answers related to this chapter in the CBSE exams. The Enemy is a long story of war times about a Japanese doctor and an American Soldier. This story will help you realize the feeling of humanity above all.
The author of Vistas book chapter 4 is Pearl S. Buck. There are 8 NCERT exercise questions in this chapter. Some of them are not straightforward and require your understanding of the chapter. As you will prepare these solutions, you will be able to understand the various characters of the chapter in-depth. The chapter also gives a glimpse of war times, about the mentality of people at the time of war. Given below is a quick summary of ‘The Enemy’, that will help you identify some distinguished concepts from the chapter. Then, you can start preparing the NCERT solutions.
The Enemy Summary: Class 12 English Vistas
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4 begins with the background story of Sadao, his childhood, his relationship with his father, his marriage and how he became a doctor. Here are a few points from the chapter that will help you understand it better.
- One day Sadao and his wife, Hana, encounter a strange man on the seashore. He was badly injured. At first, they thought he was a fisherman, but when they went closer they realized that he was a soldier of the US Navy, a prisoner of war, their enemy.
- Sadao and Hana decide to take him home because he needs help. They think of ways to avoid leaking his identity.
- The servant when finding out the truth refuses to help him and Hana. Hana, despite not being a doctor, helps Sadao in treating him.
- Throughout the whole story, Sadao has no idea why he is helping the man. Hana also agreed because her husband, Sadao, wanted to help the man.
- As they treat him, they found scars on his body of torture. It evoked their sympathies with him.
- When Sadao was treating him, he forgot that he is the enemy. He used to address him as a patient. He used to check him from time to time.
- Hana also took good care of the man by providing him with food. However, the man thinks that they would hand him over to the government.
- At last, the servants also left Sadao and Hana because of the man. Hana was confused about why she and Sadao are not like other Japanese people.
- One day, the General calls Sadao as he gets sick. Sadao told him about the injured man at his place and the General said that he will send his men to take the men and nobody would get to know about the incident.
- However, the General forgot his words and never sent any men. Sadao waited for days in terror but at last, he decided to send the man away on a boat.
- When Sadao met General again, he told him everything about the man’s escape. He realized that he was so busy with himself that he forgot that the nation’s enemy was in Sadao’s place. However, he covered his mistake by telling him that he will reward Sadao.
- In the end, Sadao was still confused about why he helped him and could not kill the man.
Moral of NCERT Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4: The Enemy
NCERT Class 12 Vistas Chapter 4 is a story about humanity, sympathy, love, and kindness. It reflects that there is nothing bigger than Humanity in this world. We are all humans before any nationality, caste or religion binds us and we should always embrace that. This chapter also throws light on the responsible nature of a doctor and the loyalty of a wife.
Exercise Discussion for NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4: The Enemy
- In question 1 of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4, you are asked to explain how Sadao made the tough choice of helloing the enemy.
- Hana was not obliged to help the man as she was not a doctor. The second question asks you to think why did she help the man.
- The soldier came to know that he was at his enemy’s place then why did he not run away? The third NCERT exercise question asks you so.
- In the fourth question, you need to explain the attitude of the General. Was he fulfilling his duties in the right way? Was he loyal to his nation?
- In the fifth question, you have to express your own views on hating other humans because of war. Do you think it is justifiable?
- Then, in question 6 you have to say whether what Sadao, as a doctor, did was right or not.
- In question 7, you have to compare this story with ‘Birth’ that you read in CBSE Class 11 English Snapshots book.
- Lastly, you have to talk about a movie or a novel that is based on the same theme as this chapter.
Study Tips for NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 4: The Enemy
All the NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Vistas Chapter 4 and The Enemy Summary are based on your understanding of the characters and their behaviours. If you can do so, then you will be able to answer these eight questions correctly.
You must prepare notes for the character of Hana, Sadao, Tom (the enemy) and the General separately indicating their good and negative points. This will help you understand the characters better. The language of the chapter is easy so you will not find many difficult words in the chapter.
After reading the summary of The Enemy, you must check our NCERT Solutions. We have answered all questions elaborately for you. We have also ensured that our solutions adhere to the CBSE guidelines for Class 12 English and have kept the language simple.