NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5 – Should Wizard hit Mommy
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5 ‘Should Wizard Hit Mommy’ contain all the answers to NCERT textbook questions along with the detailed summary for the chapter. Our English subject matter experts have compiled these NCERT Solutions to help you prepare well for your exams and give you a full understanding of the chapter through Should Wizard Hit Mommy summary.
Should Wizard Hit Mommy is a story by John Updike. It is a story of a four-year-old girl who amazes her father by asking a difficult moral question that even he could not answer. The story explains the difference in thinking of adults and children and gives you an opportunity to decide how you want to think in life – as an adult whose thinking is manipulated by the bad experiences that they have had in their life or as a child who is innocent and non-judgemental.
Before we take a look at the NCERT Solutions for Vistas Chapter 5 here is a brief summary of the ‘Should Wizard Hit Mommy’ that will help interpret the meaning of the story. There is also the moral of the story and some study tips that will help you prepare this chapter thoroughly.
Should Wizard Hit Mommy Summary: Class 12 English Vistas
CBSE NCERT Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5 ‘Should Wizard Hit Mommy’ makes us identify the generation gap between parents and their children. There are situations in life where parents and children have different opinions. In this chapter, the father, Jack was trying to teach his four-year-old daughter, Jo, that one should always listen to their parents and obey what they say.
Jack used to tell stories about a Wizard to Jo in which some animals named Roger, whenever he had trouble would come to the Wizard and he would help them. In one of his stories, the Wizard makes a Skunk named Roger smell like roses as he demands so. Roger Skunk wanted to smell good so that all other animals would let him play with them and be his friends. However, Roger Skunk’s mother when he came to know about it, she got very angry. She wanted her son to smell like other Skunks and accept how God has made him. If anyone wants to be his friend then they must also accept Roger Skunk as he is. So she asks the Wizard to make her son smell like before and not like roses. Jack’s story ended here.
This ending made Jo very upset as she wanted Roger Skunk to have friends and be happy. She was unable to understand mother Skunk’s perspective and wanted Jack to change the ending. But, Jack opposed her and did not change the ending. He wanted Jo to accept his perspective. But, Jo, despite being just four years old, had a different opinion. She wanted the parents to think about their child’s happiness.
Although Jack was pretty amazed by her opinion as she raised a serious moral question there, he could not find a reason why he cannot accept his four-year-old daughter’s ending. Maybe because in his childhood he was made to accept his parent’s decision and has been raised this way.
Moral of NCERT Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5: Should Wizard Hit Mommy
The story teaches us that a difference of opinion between parents and children does not make anyone right or wrong. Here, both Roger Skunk and his mother had their own reasons. Both were right at their place. But, Roger Skunk had to listen to his mother. The chapter also reflects that parents should also listen to their children’s opinions at times and should try to explain them in a better way so as to avoid differences.
Exercise Discussion of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5: Should Wizard Hit Mommy
- In exercise 1 of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5, you have to explain the moral of the story. The answer to this question totally depends on your perspective.
- In question 2, you have to explain Jo’s perspective to end the story and why she was stressing upon that ending.
- In exercise 3, you have to explain whether Jack was setting an example for his daughter or was reflecting his own childhood memories to her.
- In question 4, you have to explain how the ending of the story explains Jack’s feeling of being caught in the middle.
- Question 5 is very interesting as it asks you to choose one of the endings and explain the reasons for your choice.
- There is one additional exercise where you have to mention your opinion on the generation gap of the difference of opinions between adults and children.
Study Tips for NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5: Should Wizard Hit Mommy
- The story of Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 5 ‘Should Wizard Hit Mommy’ is very relatable and engaging. The language is quite simple so you will be able to understand it in one reading. However, the ending might confuse you.
- The story reflects both parents’ and children’s perspectives. Hence, you must be clear with them. Questions related to its ending can often be asked in the CBSE class 12 board exams.
- You must refer to our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas to elaborate points and ideas. Our subject matter experts have written easy to understand answers for you.
- You should also try to summarise the character of Jo’s mother that has been mentioned sometimes in the chapter. Her character also gives a strong message.
- Try to write the Should Wizard Hit Mommy summary in your own words, expressing Roger Skunk and his mother’s opinions and you will be able to prepare this chapter for your CBSE exams perfectly.