NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6 – On the face of It
NCERT Class 12 Solutions English Vistas Chapter 6 ‘On The Face of It’ will explain to you the right way to answer questions in the CBSE Class 12 board exams. ‘On the Face of It’ is a play on a very sensitive yet important topic that we must read and understand. This Chapter of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Solutions English Vistas is about the insecurities, the loneliness and the thinking of people who are slightly different from others. The play gives a strong message to society on how we all need to be more open-minded towards people and lessen their pain.
There are two main characters in the play, Derry and Mr Lamb. The author of the play is Susan Hill. At the end of the play, there are 5 questions that you need to answer based on your understanding of the play. We have provided chapter-summary and NCERT Solutions for Vistas Chapter 6 in a detailed manner so that you do not get confused while writing the answers during Board exams. The On The Face of It summary and the study tips will further enhance your understanding of the chapter.
On The Face of It Summary: Class 12 English Vistas
The play ‘On The Face of It’ by Susan Hill of CBSE NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English book Vistas is about a physically challenged person Mr Lamb, who is an old man, with a tin leg as he lost his leg in war and Derry, a 14-year-old boy, whose half face is black because an acid burned it.
Both of them have different perspectives in life although both are treated the same way by society. No one wants to be their friend or talk to them. However, Mr Lamb is always open to people. He lets them enter his garden, gives them apples and lets them sit there and observe nature. He even has no curtains in his house because he does not like shutting things down. He has a positive outlook on life. However, the truth is that if someone ever comes to his house, once they leave they never come back to him. But, Mr Lamb does not let this affect his love for life.
Derry, on the other hand, has shut himself down. He understands that no one wants to be with him. Even his mother does not like his face but she has to take care of him because he is her son. He understands that people would never accept him. So he stays away from people and has lost all hope in his life. Deep inside he wants to live his dreams but he cannot because he is always thinking about other people’s opinions about him.
Once Derry accidentally reaches Mr Lamb’s garden. He finds a beautiful place and he thinks that the place is abandoned. But as they both meet each other and Derry opens up to Mr Lamb, he shares his worries and concerns about his life and Mr Lamb tries to change his perspective from negative to positive.
Mr Lamb gives some examples and motivates him that his face should not let him stop from achieving what he wants in his life. He is capable enough as any other person on this earth. At last, Derry understands and promises Mr Lamb that he would come back to talk again. Mr, Lamb thinks that he won’t just like all others. But Derry does come back. But he finds that Mr Lamb has fallen off of the ladder and is no more alive.
Moral of NCERT Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6: On The Face of It
The play very well explains the loneliness, frustration, and alienation of physically challenged people. It makes us realize that they are all ‘humans’ just like any other person on this planet. They should be accepted in society and treated with love.
Exercise Discussion for NCERT Class 12 Solutions English Vistas Chapter 6: On The Face of It
- In question 1 of NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 6 you have to state why Derry was affected by Mr Lamb’s words. Well, maybe because he showed him hope.
- Many times in the play Mr Lamb shows that he is also as lonely and disappointed but he soon overcomes that feeling. You have to give instances from the play regarding this in question 2.
- In question 3, you are asked to explain what does a physically challenged person expects.
- Question 4 asks you to think upon whether Mr Lamb’s words would actually change Derry’s perspective in life.
- At last, there is an additional question that asks you to suggest a different ending of the story. Here, you can try to give a positive ending to the story.
- All the NCERT questions of the chapter require your interpretation and opinions. You must go through these study tips below to make your answers up to the mark.
Study Tips for NCERT Class 12 Solutions English Vistas Chapter 6: On The Face of It
- The subject matter experts at Instasolv suggest that you must try to understand how Mr Lamb tried to change Derry’s perspective. In CBSE Class 12 board exams you can be asked questions related to Mr Lamb’s character.
- You must also remember the different conversations that Derry remembers about other people in the society that reflects their thinking towards him.
- Read the summary of ‘On The Face of It’ carefully and mark all the important phrases of Mr Lamb. You can use them later in your answers in the exam.
Rest, our NCERT Solutions for Vistas Chapter 6 would be a great help to you. A whole team of subject matter experts has worked together to formulate these answers for you. So you can easily rely upon them. We have strictly adhered to the latest CBSE Syllabus for Class 12 English.