NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7 – Evans Tries an O-level
NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7 ‘Evans Tries an O-Level’ will help you understand the theme of the story clearly. Our subject matter experts of English are well-versed with the CBSE Class 12 English syllabus and have created a summary as well as the NCERT Solutions for exercise questions of Vistas Chapter 7. ‘Evans Tries an O-Level’ is an interesting, thriller story written by Colin Dexter. The story asks you to ponder upon whether prisoners should be allowed to study in prison or not.
The main characters of the story are a prisoner named Evans, the Governor, Reverend McLeery and the two prison officers Jackson and Stephens. The story is about a witty plan of Evans to escape the prison and how the instincts of the Governor almost failed his plan. Most of the questions in this chapter are asked about Evans’ master plan and its execution. So, you must read the chapter thoroughly. Below we have given Evans Tries an O-Level summary including all the important points for your reference.
Evans Tries an O-Level Summary: Class 12 English Vistas
- The story, Evans Tries an O-Level, depicts that the Governor had an instinct that Evans is taking permission to appear for an O-level test for the German language as a means to escape from the prison. So, he stays very attentive throughout his exam. He even puts a bug in Evans’ cell so that he can listen to what’s happening during the exam. The Governor received two phone calls during the exam but he disconnected them quickly as he did not want to get distracted from Evans’s exam.
- Jackson and Stephens, the two prison officials also performed their best to keep an eye on Evans and Reverend McLeery but they weren’t witty enough to judge that the Reverend was not the real Reverend McLeery.
- It was found out that the Reverend McLeery, who was the invigilator of the exam was actually Evans’ friend who was impersonating Reverend McLeery. The fake Reverend wore two costumes, two beards, two spectacles and even bought fake blood to help Evans execute his plan.
- The correction slip played an important role in Vistas Chapter 7. It was sent by Evans’ friends. It had the address of a hotel where Evans would stay after escaping and also, it was an indication to his friends about the commencement of the exam.
- Evans was very witty as he successfully misguided the officials that he impersonated as McLeery and went outside the prison after the exam and made the injured McLeery sit at his place.
- Evans used the second dress, beard, and spectacles and applied blood on his face and sat down in his cell that confused the officials. The officials thought that he was Reverend McLeery and rushed him to the hospital from where Evans finally escaped.
- The Governor, however, understood the trick of the correction slip and decoded the address of the hotel where he reached before Evans and Evans had to surrender.
- However, luck was with Evans as the official that the Governor sent with Evans to take him back to the prison was Evans’ friend. Eventually, Evans escaped despite the Governor’s efforts.
Moral of NCERT Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7: Evans Tries an O-Level
The story is an interesting dramatization of a witty plan of a prison who wanted to escape. Does that mean no prisoner should be trusted and given a chance to study in prison and qualify for an exam? Another question that arises here is whether Evans actually deserved to be in prison. He was a Kleptomaniac so probably he deserved treatment and not punishment for crimes that he committed due to his medical condition.
Exercise Discussion for NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7: Evans Tries an O-Level
- The first question of CBSE Class 12 Vistas Chapter 7 ‘Evans Tries an O Level’ asks you to explain about Evans’s last laugh in the prison.
- Question 2 asks you to explore the aspect of the negligence of the police officials as they relied on the words of Stephens and did not cross-check whether the person in the prison was actually Reverend McLeery or not. Evans was well-aware of this attitude of the officials.
- Question 3 asks you to consider the Governor’s attitude. When he finally caught Evans he did not take him to the prison himself and made him go back with just one prison official. Was he being careless when he knew that Evans is clever and he might escape again?
- In question 4, you have to use your perspective and think why prison staff would prison staff be sympathetic to the prisoners. There can be different answers to this question. We have included more than one possibility in our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7.
- In question 5, you have to relate crime and punishment with intelligence. Well, of course, both of them are a matter of wits. A criminal needs intelligence to not get caught. The prison officers need intelligence to ensure that no criminal can escape. Another aspect of this question can be that the punishment of a crime should be based on the level of crime committed.
Study Tips for NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7: Evans Tries an O-Level
- Many questions can be asked from NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7 ‘Evans Tries an O-Level’. In the textbook, there are questions given in-between the chapter under the heading ‘Read and Find Out’. You must prepare solutions for those questions as well.
- Don’t forget to read the summary of Evans Tries an O-Level carefully and jot down all the important points.
- You must remember the names of each character correctly as you might get confused. For your convenience, write Evans’ plan to escape in your own words so that you do not forget any details. Questions can also be asked on the behaviour of prison staff and the Governor in the Class 12 CBSE exams.
Take help from our NCERT Solutions for Class 12 English Vistas Chapter 7 and you will find various ideas that you can incorporate in your answers in the exams. Our solutions are not only as per the CBSE exam pattern but are easy to understand and follow.