NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English A pact with the Sun Chapter 4 – The Old-Clock Shop Summary
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English A Pact with the Sun Chapter 4 ‘The Old Clock Shop’ is a reliable study material based on the latest CBSE syllabus. This Chapter of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English has a higher difficulty level than all the previous chapters. We have provided below the complete summary of The Old Clock Shop, study tips alongside the NCERT Solutions.
Chapter 4 The Old Clock Shop is a short story with great pictorial representation. The Chapter has eight questions. All the answers need conceptual clarity and understanding. There are no direct questions where a part of the story can be reproduced as an answer.
The Old Clock Shop has a time setting of Christmas Eve. This is significant because it is a celebratory time of the year when people are expected to be kind. The story is about an old, deaf owner of the shop. As he is about to close his shop two people come. He understands from their behaviour that they do not have good intentions. The story shows how he remains calm and wins over the hearts of his visitors by his kindness.
Our English subject matter experts have created all the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English A Pact with the Sun Chapter 4. Summarising the Chapter is always the first and critical step that Instasolv does. This helps in bringing out the important highlights as well as the essence of the Chapter in just a few paragraphs. It also improves your understanding of the Chapter. After going through the moral of the story, discussions on the exercises and study tips you will be well prepared to write high scoring answers in their exams.
The Old Clock Shop Summary: Class 6 English A Pact with the Sun
The main character in Chapter 4 The Old Clock Shop is Ray. He is an old, deaf owner of a clock shop in Salt Lake City, USA. It was late evening on Christmas Eve and Ray was working on the clock that he had sold that day. As he was winding up for the day two people came to his shop. The younger one, in his twenties, remained at the front door of the shop. The older one, in his fifties, approached the counter.
Ray recognized that these were not shoppers. He hid his fear, smiled at the unfriendly face of the older man and pushed a notepad and pencil towards him. The older person was surprised and said something to the younger man. Probably they had not expected the owner to be deaf. Ray could see the shape of a gun in the older man’s right coat pocket. He understood they had bad intentions but he remained calm.
Ray sensed that he could handle the situation by giving the men money without causing any harm to anyone. He pointed to the ‘loan’ board. Ray was not a pawnbroker but he took old clocks and watches of needy people. They could return whatever money Ray had given to them and take back their clocks or watches at the same price without any interest.
The older man felt easier and Ray could spot a little shame in the man’s eyes. The older man asked Ray what his wristwatch was worth. Ray asked him how much he wanted for it. Ray wanted to gauge how much money this stranger needed because he knew that the wristwatch was not worth that much. With no clear answer, Ray made his judgment and gave the old man fifty dollars. They shook hands and the old man seemed to express his thanks. Before he left he wrote on the pad “I will be back to pick it up as soon as I can. Merry Christmas!”
Moral of the CBSE NCERT Class 6 English Chapter 4 The Old Clock Shop
Every situation can be handled by understanding the situation calmly. By choice, nobody wants to do bad things, it is circumstances that cause such actions. Kindness and goodwill towards fellow human beings can solve most of the problematic situations.
Discussion of the Exercises of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English Chapter 4 The Old Clock Shop
- There are eight questions at the end of the Chapter. The Old Clock Shop summary will help you with the right context and understanding for answering the questions asked in CBSE exams.
- At Instasolv, we always recommend that you practice the summary of The Old Clock Shop by writing it in your own words. Then, you should try to solve the NCERT questions of the Chapter.
- Once you are done, refer to our NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English A Pact with the Sun Chapter 4 and match your answers. You will get clarity on how well you have understood the chapter and your areas of improvement.
Every answer to the questions in this Chapter needs a deeper understanding and we shall discuss that in more detail.
- Ray used to deal with many shoppers. He could understand from the unfriendly behavior of the two men that they were not shoppers. His belief was strengthened because the younger man stood at the main gate to alert his partner in case anyone else happened to come to the shop.
- The two people had come to rob the shop. Their interest would be more in the cash rather than the clocks.
- Ray, being deaf, used a notepad and pencil to communicate. When the old man realized that the owner of the shop was deaf, he felt a little surprised. He probably said the same thing to his partner and showed some regret at having bad intentions of robbing an old, deaf person.
- Out of kindness and the will to help needy people, Ray gave money to people and kept their old clocks and watches on his loan board. The older person’s wristwatch had nothing special and was not worth much money. Yet this watch had great power as it became the medium by which Ray could help the man with some money in his time of need. The watch would go onto the loan board with others already there and whenever the man could give back Ray’s money he could do so and take back his watch.
- The story shows that the Christmas spirit prevailed in its true sense. Goodwill towards all worked. The older stranger did not have bad intentions, but circumstances had made him look for a solution to his immediate problem. Ray provided a good solution which made the old man happier and his face turned friendly. He would return to take back his wristwatch and give Ray’s money back. That would be his way to show his appreciation and carry forward the spirit of goodness
Our NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English A Pact with the Sun Chapter 4 are based on such an in-depth understanding of the Chapter. If you are not able to interpret why a character reacts a certain way in a story it would be difficult for you to frame the answers. We believe that the above summary of the chapter The Old Clock Shop and the discussion of the exercises will help you in answering all the questions of the chapter correctly. For more details just refer to our NCERT Chapter 4 Solutions.