NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 9 – Soil
NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 9 Soil will help you learn the chapter quickly and get prepared for your science exam. The chapter begins with a quick discussion on how soil is home to living organisms like ants and earthworms. It then explains the soil profile, types of soil and properties of soil. There are 10 exercises in this chapter with 3 extended learning activities.
Preparing NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 9 will give a fair idea of topics like clayey soil, sandy soil, water retention in soil, percolation and soil erosion. Conservation of soil or soil erosion is one of the very important topics of the chapter not only from the exam point of view but for your knowledge.
The NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 9 prepared by our subject matter experts will help you understand how to write answers in CBSE exams. We have created ‘Soil’ Class 7 extra questions with answers that will give you complete knowledge on the topics of the chapter. Below you can find a quick summary of the chapter along with a short discussion on the exercises.
Important Points for NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science Chapter 9
CBSE Class 7 NCERT Science chapter on Soil provides the definition of soil and describes its formation and how it remains useful for agriculture. It supplies water and nutrients to the plants for mankind’s sustainability. Agriculture, in turn, provides us with all the necessities of life from food to clothing and even materials for shelter besides raw materials for different categories of agro-based industries and so on.
Soil supports the ecosystem at large and also supports life itself as millions of organisms live within its layers. This chapter teaches us about Soil Profile creation and how to observe the different components of soil from humus to water, clay, sand and gravel et al. A vertical section through different layers of soil is called a Soil Profile and each layer is characterized by a different colour, texture or composition.
All these soil layers are called horizons like topmost layer Topsoil or A-horizon to the middle layer as B-horizon and third layer as C-horizon, followed by a layer of bedrocks which is difficult to dig.
Types of Soil
This chapter also discusses different soil types like sandy soil, clayey and loamy soils and how loamy soil is considered the best variety amongst all. You are informed about the properties of soil and the rate of percolation of water, moisture retention in soil and absorption of water by soil as additional knowledge sources.
Different crops like rice, wheat, jowar, mustard require different kinds of soils hence they are grown in particular areas of the country. The Textbook provides you with detailed information with various colourful examples and interesting activities to understand the concepts well.
Finally, this chapter talks about the problem of soil erosion and how the removal of fertile topsoil by wind, water or ice in some areas can cause degradation. Afforestation or planting of trees helps to conserve soil. You are encouraged to engage in such practices for the sustainability of the environment.
Exercise-wise Discussion for NCERT Class 7 Science Chapter 9
- Questions 1 and 2 are based on one-word answers that will examine your knowledge regarding concepts of Soil. Question 3 is based on matching the columns. Question 4 analyses your understanding about the formation of soil.
- Question 5 and 6 are based on the types of soils.
- Question 7 is a sketch based question in which you have to illustrate layers of soil.
- Question 8 interprets your reasoning skills in the form of solving a numerical. Question 9 is based on soil pollution and soil erosion.
- Question 10 is a fun puzzle-based question that determines your understanding level about the Soil.
About NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science by Instasolv
- The subject matter experts at Instasolv have provided you with a detailed solution to all questions given in the NCERT Solutions for class 7 science textbook for chapter 9;
- It will help you get the answers to your questions and to practise the various types of answers you need to write in your exam;
- With an overview of answers and patterns of questions through NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Science, you will be able to get a deeper understanding of the concepts that will certainly increase your confidence level and help you to be more exam ready.