NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5- Coal and Petroleum
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5 – Coal and Petroleum is prepared to help you score better in the CBSE exams. Class 8 Science Chapter 5 teaches you about fossil fuels as exhaustible natural resources. It also teaches you about the use of fossil fuels such as coal, petroleum. It elaborates about the various components of fossil fuels and their uses in everyday life.
In NCERT Solutions, you will find detailed answers to all the 9 questions available. The Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5 follow all the guidelines provided by CBSE and are based on the latest syllabus. Our CBSE Class 8 Science Chapter 5 Solutions covers all the topics of this chapter in a comprehensive way. Coal and Petroleum is an excellent source for effectively learning and revising for your Class 8 Science exams. They cover all question types that are important from an exam point of view. Our methodically laid out NCERT solutions for class 8 Science Chapter 5 are reliable and give you sufficient exposure to Coal and Petroleum.
NCERT Class 8 Science Chapter 5 – Coal and Petroleum
NCERT Class 8 Science Chapter 5 introduces you to natural resources and its broad classification on the basis of availability, namely inexhaustible and exhaustible natural resources. It tells you how Fossil fuels were formed from the dead remains of living organisms millions of years ago. Some examples of exhaustible fossil fuels are coal, petroleum and natural gas. It also educates you about the fact that the formation of fossil fuels is a very slow process. Some important topics covered in NCERT CBSE Class 8 Science Chapter 5 have been mentioned below.
This part NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5 teach you about the various uses of coal such as usage of coal in cooking, in thermal power plants and in steam engines.
- Story of coal
This section of CBSE NCERT for Class 8 Science Chapter 5 tells you that the formation of coal takes place by the burial and slow process of transformation of dead vegetation into coal, which is known as carbonisation. When coal is heated in the air, it burns and produces carbon dioxide. The industry processes coal to get important products like coke, coal gas and coal tar.
- Coke: Coke is pure carbon. It is black, porous and a tough substance. It is utilised to manufacture steel and many other metals.
- Coal Tar: Coal Tar is a foul-smelling, thick and black liquid. It is utilised in the manufacturing industry for manufacturing a variety of substances such as synthetic dyes, explosives, drugs, plastics, perfumes, photographic materials, paints, and roofing materials.
- Coal Gas: Coal Gas is obtained through the processing of coal. Coal gas is used as fuel in many industries.
This section of NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5-Coal and petroleum tells you that diesel and petrol are fuels that are commonly used in vehicles and some other appliances. They are acquired from a natural resource named petroleum. It also tells you about how petroleum was formed.
- Refining of Petroleum
Class 8 Science Coal and Petroleum expands vividly about the refining of petroleum. It is the process of segregation of various useful components of petroleum in a petroleum refinery. Some useful petroleum components obtained from refining of petroleum include petroleum gas, diesel, paraffin wax, kerosene, petrol, and lubricating oil.
- Natural Gas
Our NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5-Coal and Petroleum elaborate on another significant fossil fuel called natural gas. It is supplied through pipelines starting at source place and stored in cylinders by compressing under higher pressure, hence also called CNG (compressed natural gas). It is utilised as a fuel of choice for vehicles as it is a cleaner fuel. It is also used for cooking and other industrial uses.
- Some Natural Resources are Limited
This portion of the Class 8 Science Coal and Petroleum is significant and tells you that coal and petroleum resources are limited as they are formed over millions of years. These also cause pollution and global warming. Hence we must utilise them judiciously. This will result in a better environment, lower global warming risk and their availability for a longer time period.
NCERT Class 8 Science Chapter 5 Exercise Discussion
The exercise given at the end of NCERT CBSE Class 8 Science Chapter 5 in CBSE NCERT Class 8 Science Book, consists of a total of 9 questions.
The detailed analysis and the components of the questions asked in NCERT Class 8 Science Chapter 5 are given below.
- Question 1 is based on memory and asks you the advantages of using CNG and LPG as fuels. It is a direct question.
- Questions 2, 4 and 6 ask you to reproduce some facts about fossil fuels learnt in the chapter. Question 2 is a direct question, question 4 is fill in the blanks question, and question 6 is a direct question.
- Questions 3 and 8 ask you to describe the formation of coal and petroleum, respectively. They are both direct questions that test your memory and understanding of the above-mentioned topics.
- Question 5 of Class 8 Science Coal and Petroleum chapter, uses your analytical skills to indicate whether the given statements are true or false based on things learnt about solid and liquid fossil fuels.
- Question 7 asks you to tell the uses and characteristics of coke, and this tests your knowledge regarding the aforementioned subtopic.
- Question no. 9 asks you to plot a graph using the given data and apply your analytical situation to assess the situation mentally for your better understanding. NCERT solutions for class 8 Science Chapter 5 – Coal and Petroleum solves this question in an explanatory way.
NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Science Chapter 5 gives you full conceptual clarity. Studying from our smart NCERT Solutions will keep all exam related tensions away.