Fundamentals of Physics Chapter 16 Solutions: Waves-I
Halliday Resnick & Walker Fundamentals of Physics Volume 1 Solutions for Chapter 16 ‘Waves’ are perfectly curated to guide you in JEE Physics preparation along with Class 12 board exams. These Resnick Halliday Solutions will help you learn about waves that travel along a stressed string like on a guitar and also in other mediums. The main topics of the chapter include waves and its types, wavelength, and its frequency, the speed of a travelling wave, wave speed on stressed string energy and power of a wave travelling along a string, the wave equation, principle of superposition for waves, interference of waves, phasors, standing waves, and resonance.
Resnick Halliday & Walker Physics Volume I Solutions for Waves contain a total of 96 questions that cover all the topics of the chapter. The questions are based on real-life scenarios and if various difficulty levels. They also include questions of higher-order thinking. With the help of these questions, you will be able to prepare for the competitive exams like JEE Mains, JEE Advanced and NEET in an efficient manner as the questions range from basic to advanced level.
Subject matter experts at Instasolv have years of experience in Physics and hence have created detailed Resnick Halliday & Walker Solutions for you. The team has solved all the questions mentioned in Resnick Halliday & Walker Physics Volume I in a stepwise manner for your better understanding. With these solutions, you will be able to enhance your knowledge about the chapter and score better marks in the exams.
Important Topics for Resnick Halliday & Walker Fundamentals of Physics Volume 1 Solutions Chapter 16: Waves – I
Waves: A wave is known as the disturbance of one or more fields such that the value of the field oscillates in a repeated manner about a stable equilibrium value.
Types of Waves:
- Mechanical Waves – We encounter mechanical waves almost constantly. Some examples are water waves, sound waves, seismic waves. In the chapter, you will study the features of mechanical waves.
- Electromagnetic Waves – People are not much familiar with these types of waves but the common examples include visible and ultraviolet light, television and radio waves and radar waves, etc. in the chapter you will know how these types of waves travel.
- Matter Waves – These waves are used in common modern technology but they are unfamiliar to you. In the chapter, you will know how the waves are associated with protons, electrons, and other particles.
- Transverse Waves – When the displacement of a string element is perpendicular to the direction of travel of waves. This is known as transverse motion and the waves associated are transverse waves.
- Longitudinal Waves – When the motion of the air element is parallel to the direction of wave travel, then the motion set to be longitudinal. The wave is known as a longitudinal wave.
In the chapter, you will know how transverse waves and longitudinal waves are known as travelling waves. Some other important topics that you would come across in Resnick Halliday & Walker Fundamentals of Physics Waves Chapter are given below:
Wavelength: Wavelength is the distance between the repetition of the shape of the wave.
Amplitude: The amplitude of a wave is the measurement of maximum displacement of elements from their equilibrium positions as the wave passes to them. You will know why amplitude is always a positive quantity.
Periods: Period of oscillation T of a wave is the time that any string element takes to move through one full oscillation.
Power: The average power or the average rate at which energy is transmitted by sinusoidal waves on a stretched string is given by an equation:
Superposition of Waves: When two or more waves mainly traverse the same medium, the displacement of any particle in the medium is the sum of the displacements that individual waves will give it.
Interference of Waves: Two sinusoidal waves when staying on the same string experience interference, adding or cancelling takes place according to the principle of superposition of waves. In the chapter, you will know how they differ in their phase constant values.
Exercise Discussion of Resnick Halliday & Walker Fundamentals of Physics Volume 1 Solutions Chapter 16: Waves-I
Module 1: Transverse Waves
This module contains 13 questions in which you need to find out the phase difference between two displacements, angular wavenumber, speed of the wave, transverse displacement, transverse speed.
Module 2: Wave Speed on a stretched string
Module 2 has 11 questions in which the questions are based on topics like wave speed, linear density, tension, frequency and wavelength of the wave, amplitude.
Module 3: Energy and Power of a Wave travelling along a string
There are only two questions in this module where you need to find the maximum frequency of travelling waves or the amplitude of the wave.
Module 4: The Wave Equation
In this module, you will have to find the speed of the wave in the three questions of this module. The wave equations are given.
Module 5: Interference of Waves
This module has only 4 questions where you will solve questions on amplitude, energy, the average rate of the energy transmission.
Module 6: Phasors
The module has 5 questions where you will find the amplitude of the waves, phase angle, phase difference between the waves, phase constant.
Module 7: standing Waves and Resonance
This module has 21 questions. You will be solving questions like finding the linear density, tension, speed of the wave, maximum transverse speed of the wave, frequency, and period of the wave, amplitude, wavelength of the wave.
Module 8: Additional Problems
This module has miscellaneous 35 questions where almost all the topics of the chapter are covered. In these questions, you will find the tension in the string or rope, frequency or period of the wave, maximum transverse speed, displacement, amplitude and velocity of the wave, the phase difference between the waves, phase constant of the wave, and much more.
Why use Resnick Halliday & Walker Fundamentals of Physics Solutions for Chapter 16 Wave-I by Instasolv?
- All the Resnick Halliday & Walker Fundamentals of Physics Solutions for the chapter are presented in a step-wise format to allow you to understand the chapter’s content in a detailed manner.
- The solutions prepared will help you to learn some tips and tricks so that you can solve the questions in a more simplified manner.
- The questions designed by Resnick Halliday & Walker will help you to prepare for other competitive exams like JEE Advanced, JEE mains and NEET.