Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Chapter 8 Solutions: Electromagnetic Waves
Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Solutions Chapter 8 ‘Electromagnetic Waves’ can be of great use if you want to excel in Class 12 Physics board exams. The Xam Idea solutions will give you a deep insight into electromagnetic waves and their properties. In this chapter, You are given an introduction of electromagnetic waves, and further, it proceeds to describe to you the source of electromagnetic waves and the nature of electromagnetic waves. You will also get to learn about the electromagnetic spectrum and will study some waves like X-rays, gamma rays, microwaves, ultraviolet rays, radio waves, infrared waves, etc.
Xam Idea Class 12 Physics ‘Electromagnetic Waves’ solutions consist of 86 questions in total that are carved up into two sections. The first is, Very Short Type, and the second is Short Answer Type I & II. These questions are generally based on the production of electromagnetic waves, properties and application of electromagnetic waves, and the electromagnetic spectrum. The exercises also include some CBSE previous years questions related to electromagnetic waves.
Instasolv is one of the best and reliable learning platforms for you to clear your doubts and queries regarding the concepts of Physics for CBSE Class 12. We strive hard to provide a detailed and stepwise solution for the problems of Xam Idea Class 12 Electromagnetic Waves. The solutions here have been plotted after extensive research by our subject matter experts. Refer to them now to ace your Class 12 board exams.
Important Topics of Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Solutions Chapter 8: Electromagnetic Waves
Let’s have a look at some of the definitions of important concepts associated with electromagnetic waves-
What are Electromagnetic Waves?
As the name suggests, the waves which are formed after having vibrations between an electric field & magnetic field or can say the wave is produced when an electric field and magnetic field interact with each other, are termed as electromagnetic waves
How are they Produced?
Let’s see how the electromagnetic waves are produced-
- You know very well that, the electric field produced by the electrical force acting on the charged particles. Due to this, the positive ones move in the direction of an electric field whereas the negative ones, in the opposite direction to an electric field.
- And, the magnetic field is the result of the motion of charged particles, but how the motion of charged particles occurs, because of the magnetic force acting perpendicular to the direction of their velocity, not speed.
- Thus, we can say that the electromagnetic waves are produced by an accelerating charged particle. It’s nothing, is a wave that propagates in a space with the speed that is termed a speed of light c.
Graphical Representation of Electromagnetic Waves
Here we will see a graphical representation of the electromagnetic waves-
The graph is shown above clearly depicts that a graph is a form of a sinusoidal wave. The electric field and magnetic field (varying with time t ) are perpendicular to each other and also perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the wave.
Mathematical Representation of Electromagnetic Waves
Let’s have a look at the mathematical expression of electromagnetic wave-
Here we will have the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector.
E(x,t) = Emax cos(kx−ωt+Φ)
B(x,t) = Bmax cos(kx−ωt+Φ)
Maxwell gave the basic idea whereas Hertz experimentally confirmed that there is an electromagnetic wave and its direction of propagation is given by- (Electric field vector) X (Magnetic field vector)
Electromagnetic Wave Equation-
See here, we have the electromagnetic wave equation given below-
A homogeneous, second-order partial differential equation, describes the direction of propagation of electromagnetic waves through a medium in a vacuum.
Speed of Electromagnetic Wave in a Free Space-
Speed of the electromagnetic wave in a free space id given by-
c = 1 / √µ0ε0
C is the speed of light
µ0 is the magnetic permeability
ε0 is the electrical permeability
See the electromagnetic spectrum-
Here we can see that the electromagnetic spectrum part is given for the corresponding electromagnetic waves with increasing wavelengths orders from left to right and increasing frequencies from right to left.
Exercise Discussion of Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Solutions Chapter 8: Electromagnetic Waves
Xam Idea solutions for Class 12 Physics Chapter 8 Electromagnetic Waves include a total of 86 solutions. Listed here in two sections are going to teach you about all the aspects of Electromagnetic waves.
Very Short Type Questions
- The first section comprises 55 very short answer type questions in total.
- Usually, they are reason-based questions, however, in some of them, you need to answer in a particular aspect such as energy and momentum of electromagnetic waves, a situation where there is displacement current but no conduction current.
- In one of the questions, you have to write the speed of electromagnetic waves in terms of electrical and magnetic permeability.
- You will also have a question at which you need to identify the given waves which are produced by radioactive decays, rapid acceleration/ deceleration of electrons, and bombarding metal targets, etc.
- There will be a question in finding the least wavelength between the given electromagnetic waves.
Short Answer Type I
- There are a total of 17 questions in this section.
- You will be asked to write the properties of electromagnetic waves, how oscillatory changes produce electromagnetic waves.
- You will also be given a question on the transverse nature of electromagnetic waves, what electromagnetic waves consist and factors to which its velocity in vacuum depends?
- Apart from this, you will also have a question at which you will be given the wavelengths of electromagnetic waves, you need to identify the electromagnetic spectrum part of each wave.
Short Answer Type II
- In this section, you will have 14 questions based on the important concepts associated with electromagnetic waves.
- In the given 8 previous years questions of this section, you will have a question at which you need to give an expression for the energy density of an electromagnetic wave
- In one of the questions, you will be asked why microwaves are useful for radar systems.
- Then, there is a question at which you will be given some applications of waves and all you have to do is to identify the wavelengths of them, arrange them in ascending orders of their wavelengths, and to write one more application of them on your own
Why Use Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Solutions Chapter 8: Electromagnetic Waves By Instasolv?
- Our solutions for Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Solutions cover all the necessary concepts related to CBSE Class 12 board exams.
- If one is looking for the right piece of subjective knowledge of electromagnetic waves, then don’t go anywhere else, your problem’s solution is here.
- We have prepared step-by-step solutions to each and every question of Xam Idea Class 12 Physics Chapter 8 Electromagnetic Waves in a simple language, easy for anyone to understand.
- Getting good grades in the CBSE exams is possible when you are studying under proper guidance. Instasolv platform can act as perfect assistance for you to prepare for your board exams.
- These solutions will also help in forming a solid foundation for advanced electromagnetic waves concepts for IIT JEE and NEET.